Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Victories at Oltinga



On Friday of last week we headed for Oltinga.  Geoff and Lisa Taylor (Mark and Evelyn's son and daughter-in-law) visited for the early part of the weekend.  They were on the tail end of their safari which included the big trek up Mt. Kilimanjaro!  Carrie who is currently interning along with my friend Carly who also works with an NGO assisting with the needs concerning education made the journey as well.  Oltinga is one of the closer places to visit in the bush but is the poorest.  As we pulled up next to the tree a small number of the kids began to gather.  Joseph was with us and we began to share elements that would fill the day as we waited for the rest of the children to come.  We checked on the warriors who cooked a goat in honor of our visit that would be our after school lunch!  Musa the church planter was also happy to have us there and it is always a joy to watch the partnership between the church planter and teacher.

As we found a seat on the benches in the back I was happy to see that Paulo (the teacher) had made his own number cards.  As I stated above this is a very poor area and Paulo is probably our least educated of the group of teachers in this area.  However, Paulo has a heart for the kids.  Often I have said I can teach a lot of things but I can't teach heart!  I was happy to see his number cards but little did I know that was only the beginning.  If you remember back in January I did a teacher training with many of the teachers in this area.  I have done several refreshers since then and visited the schools to see how they have or have not put these things into practice.  That helps me to see how or if they understand to be able to move forward with new things.  These processes take a great deal of time and it is not good to overwhelm.  In the last several months I have seen little glimpses of practices coming to life but today was a day like none of the rest.

Paulo had made cards to look like big flashcards of the numbers and Swahili vowels.  This is a group of kids where there is not even a removable blackboard to stand against a tree trunk.  Yellow paper was used and Paulo glued Acacia Seeds that fall to create a large number 1.  Each page had one number but glued numbers up to 10.  On another color of paper he made the Swahili vowels.  Then, to my utter delight he put all the pages on the ground.  He said a number or vowel and the kids would raise their hands to be the one who came to choose what Paulo had called out.  This is one of the activities we talked about doing which involves interaction but I had yet to see it put into lesson!  The vowels he had glued sand to make the letter outline on green paper.  Next, Paulo gave the kids a scarp of cut cardboard from a box.  The cards each had an outline drawn in pencil with either a number, vowel, or their written name.  He put some glue in a plastic bottle that had been cut in half.  He put sticks in there so the kids could get glue out and put it within the outline on the cardboard.  Then, once the glue was on Paulo passed around a gourd filled with Acacia seeds that were removed from the pod.  The kids shared the items given and were busy putting glue on their cardboard.  As I watched this occur I was moved to tears.  In utter delight for the first time I saw one of the teachers actually plan a lesson using elements of what we talked about.  He used the resources around him turning trash into treasures!  He used elements that we talked about without directly repeating what I did.  Not that I am opposed to them using exactly what I did but they are used to just repeating what someone tells them.  Paulo in these few hours showed actual planning, creativity, and using the resources he had available.  The kids were interactive with him and each other.  Not just sitting on a bench for several hours in a row repeating what the teacher said.  I was truly delighted and encouraged!  This was the first time to see this much fruit from our time together!  Joseph said, "Wow look he is doing what you talked about!"  I think even Joseph did not completely understand the value of what has been discussed.  However, when he saw it come to life he was amazed as well.


The kids of course sang before the goat meat was brought out on a stick.  The school committee was also present and ate with us.  One of the men helped the kids eat as well which is probably the first time for them to have meat in a really long time.  Joseph shared his story with Geoff and Lisa.  I was able to share with the teacher how thrilled I was to see what he had been worked on.  He had tears running down his face before our conversation was done and so did I.  It was a wonderful day and brought great joy to my heart to share it with my friends!

Today was a needed encouragement to press on with the work.  Sometimes I feel like I am beating my head against the wall.  But, if the poorest area with the teacher who is least educated can come to life in this way then other break-throughs can occur as well.  What a joy to watch those kids think for themselves, be excited to create something to study from at home, be excited to learn, not falling asleep from no food or movement, not be physically punished when they got the answer wrong, etc.  These may not seem like a big deal but here my friends the structure of what Tanzanian's think education is a form of how the enemy is creating bondage and darkness.  It takes a great deal of time and sensitivity to break these chains of darkness.
 
But, this day in northern Tanzania under an Acacia Tree a great light shown bright through the lives of young and old who were present.  

My short but very sweet visit with Geoff and Lisa was a joy to my heart!  They were very encouraging of the work and what they were able to experience while here.  It seemed so normal to have them here and yet they are a part of a world that I love so much but very far away.  It was a joy to share my life and ministry here with the first two of the Taylor's to visit Tanzania!  I was thankful and encouraged to have them on the last few days of their Safari in Tanzania!

While I was there I cleaned and treated a wound Musa's wife had of a bad gash above her ankle from a panga.  I cleaned it and gave her some of the herbal ointment that I made to help it heal.  As I finished up with her they told me that a young girl had been burned.  While the kids were singing they brought her to the tree.  This beautiful 11/12 year old girl had a very ugly burn along the entire inside of her arm. It happened the night before while she was taking chai off the fire.  It was so dirty.  Often that is how they treat something is with urine or mud.  The worst part of the whole thing was trying to clean the wounds.  I tried to go slow and careful not to rip the rest of the tender skin that hung.  She tried so hard not to cry but it hurt to bad to do so.  Bless her heart I tried to comfort her as I worked on her arm.  Finally, I got it cleaned as best as I could and placed honey ointment to relieve the burning and help it to heal.  She was grateful and they placed beads around my neck for helping her.  How thankful I am that I took the Wilderness First Aid and Herbal Class.  I am no expert by far but at least I can give a little assistance in a place where such great need and hurts are all around.                



 Prayer Points~

  • Paulo the teacher, Musa the church planter, and the class along with the church that meets under a tree in Oltinga~ May God be glorified in this place!  
  • Thankful for Paulo's creativity may the spirit continue to work in his life to bless these kids
  • The little girl with the burn on her arm.  May she heal and know the love of Jesus.  
  • Joseph also shared of the death of one of the orphans at Oleserian.  He fell on a panga that was left in the ground upright.  May he rest in the peace in the loving arms of Jesus for eternity.  
  • May this be the first of many small and big victories concerning the education and empowerment of the kids in Matale!  



No comments:

Post a Comment