Sunday, January 7, 2018

Heri ya Mwaka Mpya

Happy New Year!

Wow! We are seven days into the year 2018! I was thinking the other day that celebrating the new year might be the only celebration globally celebrated?! There are holidays and celebrations that stem from our spirituality that might be celebrated in all countries but not all share the same beliefs. There are holidays like Thanksgiving that are shared even in North America but celebrated on different days. Canada and America share in similar Thanksgiving traditions but celebrated a month a part on different days. As one who has the blessing and the hardship of loving and living in two different lands I guess I found comfort in this unifying tidbit. I must admit that due to jet lag, the fact that I am not a very good night person, and travel tired before a big week~ I did not stay up. However, I did wake up at midnight as Milo barked at the firecrackers being set off in the streets. Here in Tanzania, for most of January, we greet those we have not met yet in the year 2018 with saying, "Heri Mwaka Mpya!" Which is our way of saying, "Blessings in the New Year!" So, as I type this and you read this, it is my desire to bless your New Year!

I am a person of reflection so I like this time of year! I enjoy looking back on 2017 to see the challenges conquered, joys shared, and memories made. Sometimes there are some grief points as well where one can see how the Lord carried or continues to carry us through. Last year was very scheduled for me between keeping my head above water with my role and responsibilities here as well as completing MAJOR course work to complete my double masters degree. Tis a relief to have the majority of that complete and thankful from all that I have gained by the experience. For much of the year my blogging has taken a hit because there just has not been enough time in the day. And, maybe if I am being honest, a break from writing as much as I once did was good for me. Now in 2018 I would like to bring it back to life on a more regular basis. Hopefully, I can keep my typed word! I have missed the part of reflection and process this exercise has for my journey. As well as, recording some of those moments that you think you will remember but don't always! Especially for those of you who keep mentioning to me how I need to write a book! I hate to disappoint but my thesis will be priority here in 2018 so blogging will have to do for now. 2018! Wow! 2018! I like to think about what is to come in my reflection too. This year has many things but without a course schedule it has a bit more freedom to it. Well, that is except for my rough draft of my final project due in March. Lynda and I are working on some Literacy Development Training for teachers in government schools with no resources. So, nothing like a challenge of teacher training for reading and writing when very few things are in print in villages all over Tanzania! But, we are determined to remedy the failing injustice of the lack of literacy. It can get hard to blog as well because there are things that are not wise for me to put in print. So, keep that in mind. After a difficult year for my extended family loosing my cousin at such a young age we then welcomed my new niece and nephew. It was a delight to get to be in the States for a very quick visit to meet and snuggle them fireside. The goodbye right before the new year was hard but the time at Christmas was treasured.

The blog helps to reflect and process. Also, it helps to try to be relational from afar! I love what I do here and the people who I have grown to love in a great way! But, I miss the family and friends afar. Sometimes the international living has an ache about it that no one understands unless they are on the journey too. I love the journey that I live out everyday here in Tanzania and the ministry that God has called me too. But, I truly miss the relationships that I have in America and how most of the time I am no longer there in the journey. Technology has its pros and cons but I cherish my interactions from afar and how technology is an amazing tool for that. At the conclusion of a posting I love the responses I get in return. They mean a great deal to me even if its a few words on Facebook or in an email. I realize that it is hard for those who are not right here to connect with my world. But, it means a lot to me when those read the simple posts to try to understand and send word to make a simple connect. I have missed that! I will try to do better on my end.

Thank you to all of you who sent cards at Christmas with greetings, notes of encouragement, and support! I could not be on this soil without your partnership and support to the ministry here in Tanzania and the enrichment you bring to my life~ near or far!

Blessings to you in the New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment