Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Baby, Baby, Baby


All children are special and I adore working with young children. But, I have always LOVED babies! Since I can remember this has been true and something I share with mom. The passage in Luke 18 when Jesus blesses the children says, "The people brought their babies and small children to Jesus so that he might lay his hands on them to bless them. When the disciples saw this, they scolded the parents and told them to stop troubling the Master. But Jesus called for the parents, the children, and his disciples to come and listen to him. Then he told them, “Never hinder a child from coming to me. Let them all come, for God’s kingdom realm belongs to them as much as it does to anyone else. They demonstrate to you what faith is all about. Learn this well: unless you receive the revelation of the kingdom realm the same way a little child receives it, you will never be able to enter in.” I have devoted much of my life to this passage. Sharing with young people the love that Jesus has for them and their important place in the Kingdom. So, it is with a heavy heart that I share the story of three precious babies.

Elia is pictured above and now is about eight weeks old. Naserian is his young mother who they call my Maasai daughter. Just a few days before leaving for the States for my graduation Naserian calls with the news that she was having a baby. The girl of fifteen years pleaded for my forgiveness. Quickly I assured her that forgiveness is there for all who ask for it and with a heavy heart tried in a short amount of time to understand the situation. Even now as I type this I am not sure how this came to be and it has some cultural implications that I am unable to have in print. Elia was born just before I returned from the States in a small mud dung hut. I made the trip where her grandma lives and is cared for by an aunt. I was met with many tears for I fear they thought I would abandon Naserian. I found a cloth with diamonds and carefully wrapped Elia (named after Elijah which is Naserian's favorite Bible story) in the cloth with diamonds. I spoke words of blessing over his life and talked about how he is a treasure in the Kingdom of God. We prayed together and I traveled home. Naserian a girl who never knew her parents now a mother at the age of fifteen~ my drive home was difficult as I processed during the many hours home. 

Joshua is a baby who quickly became a concern trying to help his drug addicted HIV positive mother up off the drug house floor in the slum. Co-workers came across her as they work with a church in the area. Through a series of many challenging moments we took her to a maternity clinic that has recently opened specifically to help the poor and the mortality rate of women and babies. My new friends were gracious and gave excellent care as we tried to support in a challenging situation for both mother and baby. The phone call came that earlier than expected little Joshua was on his way. I got to be a part of his delivery into the world and quickly loved the little one. The mother less than an hour from delivery demanded to go home back to the slum. There I was left with a little 5lb baby with possible HIV and unknown withdrawal side effects ahead in my arms. For his first eight days of life, I cared for this precious newborn though the nights of withdrawal. Due to another series of events that are not appropriate for print, I took him to a safe place by order of social welfare. As I said, "I gave him a piece of my heart and he took it with him." 

Delevan's mom Upendo Mushi died unexpectedly and suddenly Friday morning. She had woken feeling unwell and thought it was low blood pressure. On the way to hospital to see a doctor, she passed away (possible heart attack). Why she had low blood pressure that morning we will never know as autopsies are not routinely done here. It is possible that it may have been related to the c-section that she had just 12 days ago. Archbold (Principal of Joshua Teachers Training College) and Upendo (accounting assistant in our office) have three children. Giovanni (5), Neysiah (4) and Delevan (2 weeks). African mourning is very audible, especially initially. Over the past four days a steady stream of people come through En Gedi and pass my house to sit with Archbold and to remember Upendo. There have been loud outbursts of grief at times, beautiful singing, evening services and lots of food prepared. Upendo was loved. We have seen our En Gedi community rally to help serve all these visitors, to help in the home and to care for the needs of those who mourn while they themselves grieve. The funeral was held yesterday (Tuesday) at their home, right here at En Gedi. All the teachers from our school, the staff that work on our base, our Joshua Team, family, church family, friends and neighbors were in attendance. It was a big event in Upendo's honor and in support of her family. The preschool children at school had a beautiful time talking about heaven and praying for the three children (their friends) on Monday. We have heavy hearts here on Earth but celebrate in that Upendo lives what we believe!

Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, 
to silence the foe and the avenger.
Psalm 8:2

Prayer Points~
  • Pray that the God who is full of grace redeems and cares for the lives of these three babies. In various ways they will know they are loved by many and that they will have protected hearts that love Jesus. 
  • Pray for our mourning community and our friends who have lost their wife, mother, and friend. 
  • Pray the Prayer of Psalm 98 over our community as we continue to serve here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment