Sunday, September 1, 2013

Olturoto Oiborr School


These children stood outside waiting for the white car to come out of the woods carrying inside the white teacher they have only heard about.  The next morning we loaded the car and drove an hour further right on the edge of the Kenya Tanzania border.  Once its reached it's like driving on the moon.  It is hot and the ground is filled with volcanic rock.  Not much grows in this area so it is like a giant circle filled with people who call Olturoto Oiborr home.  Carrie, Mike and Joanne were also with me.  We approached the kids and they were very afraid.  I asked for the rest of the white clan to remain back so that I could speak to the kids and ease their fear.  I took hold of my friend Daniel's arm who is a dear friend that I don't get to see often by the distance that separates.  Daniel was at the gathering place where the first of the church planters gathered to see Scott Price and the team from Pike's Peak.  It was my very first time in Maasailand.  Daniel is a caring and compassionate man he looked out for me while we ventured to different places.  He helped me understand culture even though few words were shared. Daniel always smiles plus has never let me fall!  He has been asking for a long time for me to venture to his house and to greet his family.  It was a joy to do so and always humbling.  But, back to the kids and the classroom.  I held Daniels arm and slowly walked towards the group of children.  I greeted them and said that I was a friend of Daniel.  The teacher reminded them of a few songs they had prepared to sing for us.  Slowly they began to ease their fear a bit.  I then began to tell them how happy I was to be at their school and to see the hard work.  It is always difficult cause the elders always come to see what is going on.  I usually cause a crowd which always makes the visit a little more festive.  They always like to present their needs.  I told the kids that I was just like them just with white skin.  I then held my arms out and asked if anyone would like to touch my white skin.  That the color might be different but I was just like them.  Gradually they began to smile and slowly began to touch my arm and shake my hand.  It wasn't long before once again I was in the middle of a sea of dark beautiful little faces.  One face I recognize for it was Naserian who was in our last graduate group of Kids Training at CMF.  I then tell the others they are welcome to come closer and greet the kids.  All is ok!


Sometimes it really is hard to paint the challenges that we face here.  Solutions may seem easy and yet they really aren't.  An example of this was displayed by the teacher who cares for the kids and loves his job.  He is able to speak some English and desperately wants to attend a Teacher's Training College.  He was so proud of a poster he had of the ABC chart.  I was happy to see that he was teaching the ABC's.  However, the chart was of pictures was of English illustrations of words that began with the letter.  The kids were repeating the english word but as the teacher moved down the chart he stopped and asked me, "What is this?"  It was an ice cream cone.  He asked if could bring one the next time I come.  Then, my two favorites to explain were for "y" a yacht and "q" the queen of England.  To a group of kids who have no idea even what a large body of water is or a regular boat.  Nor do they even know of England let alone describing who is the queen.  Things that make you go hummm!  There just are no resources that are culturally appropriate even when you can get your hands on them.  Which is why I am trying to encourage them to create their own resources and charts with words that make sense in multiple languages.  It is just convincing them that they are just as valuable if not more so than the "official."  But, the day was good and it was an encouragement to them that we visited.  It helps me to know the future training needed for the teachers in the area.  For as remote as they are the community really has rallied around to support education and most of that probably comes from the close Kenyan influence.

We visited Daniel and his family before we made the trek back.  They were kind to serve us chai and we prayed for him and his family before leaving.  We also stopped at Joshua's house and his family who just graduated from our last Training Course.  He lives and is from this area but he gets up before the sun on a Sunday morning and walks two hours to another village area where a new church is starting.  Once again we were welcomed with open arms and served chai.  It is always humbling to be in the homes of our dear friends.  It was good to see the two girls Naserian and Neema who are doing well along with momma.  It is always amazing to me how happy they are for us to pay a simple visit.  However, to them there is nothing simple about it.  It is very meaningful.            

Prayer Points~

  • Pray for this area that God's name will continue to be made known in this area of Matale B.  
  • That Daniel and Joshua will continue to lead people to the Lord and encourage those who meet within the churches.  For protection on their homes and families.  
  • For the teacher of the school and the children who desire to learn.  



No comments:

Post a Comment